Saturday, February 7, 2009

Science Center Evacuation!!

There was a false fire alarm at the Science Center today. Evacuation. Firetrucks. Pandemonium. (OK, so maybe not pandemonium.)

I was in the middle of my program Zap-squared when the lights started flashing and the oddly British voice said "Danger. Danger. An emergency has been reported." We had to evacuate the whole building and deal with disgruntled visitors who wanted refunds.

But the awesomely ironic thing was that, in my program, I was just showing them the "Danger" warning on the Tesla coil when the alarm when off. I had just said "Can you see what this sign says?" when the flashing commenced and the speaker read the sign for me!

On the bright side, it was a BEAUTIFUL day in Des Moines, so the participants weren't freezing while we waited outside for the firemen to check the building. The programs staff (myself included) took out some of our demonstrations to entertain everyone, and it all turned out okay.

We still don't know what caused it. Possibly a kid pulling the alarm. Possibly a faulty detector. Possibly some dust knocked off by a rocket balloon. I guess it's a mystery that we might never find the answer to! Anyway, that was my excitement for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment