Thursday, June 25, 2009

Last regular week of classes is over...


Today was another standard day... We had drawing from 10-1. We had to use letters as 'characters,' and he came up with some pretty unusual scenarios we had to create.

After class, Allison and I went to the HEMA to pick up our pictures, and we both bought a couple of scarves along the way. I decided I'm a scarf-a-holic! And it's a shame that when I get back to 100-degree Iowa July I won't be able to wear any of them...

We had an American junk food evening, so we ordered pizza and had some pop and candy and watched a movie in my room. Other than that, today wasn't very exciting...

I do have some more random thoughts though...
  1. Nutella is so good. I withheld for a long time when everyone was saying how good it was, but then I bought my own jar, and now I can't stop!
  2. Our time in Europe is coming to a close very quickly. We decided there is no more nap-taking or time-wasting anymore... We need to enjoy being here and take full advantage of it!
  3. I shouldn't buy any more food at the grocery store/market because we only have a little over a week left, and I can't bring any of the food with me!!
  4. It's amazing how comfortable I've become with Leiden and even Amsterdam. In Leiden, I don't think I can really get lost because eventually I'll find a place that I'm familiar with, and I can find my way from there...
  5. Although it's officially called "the Netherlands," most of the world say "Holland." However, only two of the Netherlands' twelve provinces are actually in Holland.
  6. One of the things the Netherlands is famous for is land reclamation - where they turn the sea into usable land. It's amazing! In my guidebook, there's a saying by Voltaire that goes: "God created the earth - except Holland, for the Dutch did that." Since the 14th century, the surface area of the Netherlands has increased by approximately 10 percent!!
  7. I'm actually building a slight tan (on my arms). I think it's because I'm outside every day, but it's not hot enough and/or I'm not in the sun long enough to get burnt. There have been a few days when I'm red, but never truly burnt. It's pretty nice!
  8. Today was a crazy day... Farrah Fawcett, Ed McMahon and Michael Jackson. It was strange to hear the news about Michael Jackson over here. Chris told me, and I checked MSNBC and broke the news to the people in the dorm, but some of the girls were out and said people were shouting about it. Like him or not, it's pretty big news...
That's all for tonight... I think Allison and I are going to try to make it to Volendam tomorrow. It's a small town north of Amsterdam that is famous for their traditional Dutch clothing and lifestyle. It should just be a short trip... we have lots of work to do for photography and for our final project!

No comments:

Post a Comment